Last Updated on February 27, 2023 by Ithos Global Regulatory Team
Attention packaging manufacturers! The Washington State Plastic Producer Registration for 2023 is now open and must be completed on or before April 1st, 2023.
As a reminder, producers of plastic personal care packaging sold in Washington must register with Washington’s Department of Ecology.
The Producer is the person or entity who has the final authority on decisions about the container in which a covered product is offered as a finished retail product.
The Brand Owner is assumed to be the producer of the product unless evidence showing otherwise is provided.
de Minimis Producer is a producer whose plastic product generates less than $1 million each year in revenue in Washington or generates less than one ton of containers in Washington,
To register, the producer must first sign up for a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account, add the Waste Reduction Portal to their account, and submit the plastic producer registration by providing the following information:
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Producer Contact Information
- Billing Contact (Required)
- Responsible Official (Optional)
- Brand names the plastic product is sold under
- Revenue of the plastic packaging from the previous year sold in Washington
- Exact amount is not needed but rather whether the revenue of plastic product generated was above or below $1 million
- Total resin amount from the previous year sold in Washington
- This includes virgin, post-consumer and post industrial plastic
- If the amount for Washington is unknown, producers can input their total resin amount for the US and the system will convert this number for Washington based on Washington’s population
De minimis producers are not required to register but encouraged to show compliance with the upcoming PCR requirements.
In addition to the registration, all producers must pay an annual fee which is determined using the following calculation: Program Administration Fee = Ecology Workload Cost x [(Individual Producer Resin pounds)/ (Washington Resin Total pounds)]. The resin pounds represent the total non-de minimis plastic resin weight submitted during registration for all plastic product categories.
The detailed registration steps and link to the SAW portal can be found on the Washington’s Department of Ecology website.